Professor of Materials Science and Engineering in the Department of Materials Science and Engineering at Cornell University since July 1987
Diploma in Chemistry (Dipl.Chem., TU Clausthal, 1972)
Doctor of Engineering (Dr.Ing., TU Clausthal, 1975), with
Habilitation (Dr.Ing. habil., University of Hannover, 1983)
Heisenberg fellow between April 1984 and June 1987 and between October 1986 and June 1987 (interruption of fellowship between April and September 1986 to fill a professorship for Physical Chemistry at University of Hannover)
Nernst prize 1984, awarded by the 'Deutsche Bunsengesellschaft für Physikalische Chemie' (German Bunsen Society for Physical Chemistry)
Fellow of the American Ceramic Society (elected 12/2000)
1985-1990 member of the editorial board of the journal 'Reactivity of Solids'
member of the American Ceramic Society, Deutsche Bunsengesellschaft für Physikalische Chemie, Gesellschaft Deutscher Chemiker (Society of German Chemists), and the Materials Research Society
more than 150 publications (published, accepted and submitted)
more than 270 presentations (lectures, oral presentations, posters)
- Ceramic Single Crystal Growth - In Situ Processing of Metal-Ceramic Composites - Kinetics and Morphology of Solid State Reactions - Phase Equilibria - Point Defect Structure of Inorganic, Nonmetallic Compounds - Transport of Matter and Charge in Ceramic Solids
Kinetics of Reactions in Condensed Matter (MSE 6040)
Materials Design Concepts I (MSE 3070)
Research Involvement (MSE 2910, 2920, 3910, 3920, 4910, 4920)
advising of a few sophomores
chairing MSE UCC committee
serving on CASPAC committee of COE
reviewing of manuscripts for scientific journals
- 2012. "Floating-Zone Growth and Characterization of Single Crystals of Manganese Orthosilicate, Mn2SiO4." Journal of Crystal Growth 361: 89-97. .
- 2012. "Orientation, Oxygen Activity and Temperature Dependencies of the Diffusion of Manganese in Manganese Orthosilicate, Mn2SiO4." Solid State Ionics 228: 70-79. .
- 2012. "Orientation, Oxygen Activity and Temperature Dependencies of the Diffusion of Cobalt in Cobalt Orthosilicate, Co2SiO4." Solid State Ionics 212: 66-76. .
- 2011. "Sodium tracer diffusion in a sodium aluminosilicate glass." Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids 357 (22): 3797-3802. .
- 2011. "Sodium Tracer Diffusion in Glasses of the Type (Na2O)0.2(B2O3)y(SiO2)0.8-y." Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids 357 (21): 3661-3669. .
Selected Awards and Honors
- Fellow (American Ceramic Society) 2000
- Nernst-prize (Deutsche Bunsengesellschaft für Physikalische Chemie (German Bunsen Society for Physical Chemistry)) 1984
- Diploma in Chemistry (Chemistry), Technische Universität Clausthal, 1972
- Doctor of Engineering (Engineering), Technische Universität Clausthal, 1975
- Habilitation (Physical Chemistry), University of Hannover, 1983