Master of Engineering Degree Requirements
Distribution of Credits
Minimum of 30 qualifying credits
- MSE Core Courses: Either in our M.Eng. program, or in previous work, students must complete 2060, 3030, and 3040 (or equivalents) and one “properties” class (2610, 2620, 3010, 3050, or 4020)
- MSE electives and Materials Application Electives (or similar content at grad level) See Courses on right for further details.
- Project: 4-8 credits
- A minimum of 6 credits in MSE numbered courses beyond the project
- 2 credits seminar (1/semester)
- one management course (NCC 5540, CHEM 5720, CEE5900, CEE 5910, CEE 5930, NBA 6650, or CEE 6900)
6 technical elective credits:
- consistent with preparing for a career in a materials related field
- Students may elect to follow the internship track for their degree
- If the student chooses the internship track and is in a 2 semester program, they must complete their corporate internship prior to the end of their second semester of coursework needed to complete degree requirements.
- Students are responsible for securing their own internship. Guidance from the MSE Department will be provided.
- Internships can vary in length. If a student takes an internship during the semester, they apply for a Leave of Absence from Cornell.
- Students must enroll in MSE 5010 or MSE 5020 in the semester following their internship summer.
- International students must be approved for Curricular Practical Trainingonce they have been offered a paid internship.
MEng Grade Requirements
To obtain an MEng degree in Materials Science and Engineering, students must meet the MS&E conditions for good academic standing. Those conditions are as follows:
- Minimum Semester MEng GPA of 2.5
- Minimum GPA of 2.5 across all MS&E courses
- No grade below a C- in every graded course taken