Spring 2020 Resources
Student Information for Fall 2020
If you cannot find the information you need in the FAQ's below, please submit your questions and/or suggestions here.
Spring 2020 Elective List
- MSE 4610 - Biomedical Materials and Their Applications
- MSE 5120/MAE - 5130 Mechanical Properties of This Films
- MSE 5150 - Structures and Materials for Sustainable Energy Systems
- MSE 5310 - Introduction to Ceramics
- MSE 5410/ECE 4360 - Nanofabrication and Characterization of Electronics
- MSE 5440 - Soap Bubbles, Snowflakes, and Steps: Interfacial and Surface Phenomena in Materials Science
- MSE 5720 - Computational Materials Science
- MSE 6010 - Chemistry of Materials
- MSE 6030 - Thermodynamics of Materials
- MSE 6050/ECE 4070 - Physics of Semiconductors and Nanostructures
- MSE 6210/CHEM 6070 - Solid State Chemistry
- MSE 6720 - Advance X-ray Characterization
Visit the M.Eng FAQ page. If you do not see the answer to your question, email your question to Alex Deyhim
Current MSE Operational Status
- Tompkins County COVID Status: NY State Stage 4.
- Activities that can be done off-campus should continue to be done off-campus. Faculty and research personnel whose work requires, or is markedly enhanced by, the use of university facilities, may now begin to do so underprovided in MSEs reactivation plan.
- MSE facilities are approved for operations at a maximum operational density of 50% pre-COVID-19 level. Under NY State Stage 4 there are no caps on the total number of faculty or research group members on campus. A maximum number of individuals in a room, as defined in a PIs restart protocol, remain in effect.
- All on-campus personnel (including Faculty) must complete EH&S COVID-19 training prior to returning to campus.
- All returning research personnel must complete the Researcher and Support Staff Reopening Questionnaire prior to returning to campus.
- Personnel returning to campus must
- Complete Cornell's Daily Check prior to coming to campus.
- Follow EH&S guidelines for on-campus activities including Cornell's Guidelines regarding Social Distancing and Wearing Masks, washing hands regularly, and cleaning any shared surfaces.
- Follow their research group's established protocol for lab occupancy, scheduling, buddy system, cleanliness, and any other items.
- Student and research personnel offices and some specifically labeled conference rooms are available for use for research personnel approved for on-campus activities. Students should only use their assigned seat and follow posted maximum occupancy and other rules (including logging in and out). During office use, you must continue to follow your research groups approved protocol for scheduling and buddy system. Further details are below.
MSE Faculty, Staff and Research Personnel/Graduate Student Information
MSE Faculty and Research Personnel/Graduate Student Travel Policy
- Non-essential business travel remains prohibited.
- For domestic travel, please follow the Tompkins County/NYS guidelines
- Including self-quarantine for 14 days for individuals (including Ithaca residents) incoming from a list of NYS restricted states (see website for an updated list on TCH website)
- For international travel, please follow the CDC guidelines:
- Including self-quarantine for 14 days after returning from international travel.
- Recommended best practice:
- A housemate of a traveler to a restricted state (with 24-hour stay): quarantine 14 days or until a negative test is returned.
- A traveler to “hotspot” (including NYC) or outside of NYS (with 24-hour stay): quarantine 14 days or until a negative test is returned.
- Guidelines remain dynamic and may change over the course of a trip.
Office Use Policy - Research Personnel and Graduate Students
- Research personnel including graduate students are ONLY allowed to use offices if they have been cleared for on-campus operations through an approved research protocol AND they are on campus for approved research.
- Follow posted instructions for maximum occupancy times, dwell times in between use, cleanliness (wipe down workstation, and door handle before and after use). Apply hand sanitizer when entering and exiting. Sign in and out using the posted log sheet.