Hari Nair is a Research Assistant Professor in the Department of Materials Science and Engineering at Cornell University. Previously, he was a Research Associate with Prof. Darrell Schlom at Cornell University, where he worked on the growth of ruthenate Ruddlesden-Popper thin films using molecular beam epitaxy. This work has lead to the first demonstration of superconducting Sr2RuO4 thin films in the United States. Hari received his Ph.D. in Electrical and Computer Engineering from The University of Texas at Austin in 2013. His Ph.D. work involved molecular beam epitaxy growth of GaSb-based semiconductor alloys to extend the emission wavelength of type-I diode lasers into the 3-5 μm range. This work resulted in the longest wavelength GaSb-based type-I diode laser with an aluminum free active region at room temperature. Hari received his B.Tech. in Engineering Physics from Indian Institute of Technology Madras in 2006.
Novel materials have the potential of precipitating revolutionary rather than evolutionary changes in wide ranging fields. My vision is to explore the properties of novel oxide materials in epitaxial thin film form for wide ranging applications from power electronics to optical metamaterials. Understanding and tuning the fundamental properties of these versatile oxides using a combination of epitaxial strain, dimensionality and heterostructures will be key to developing the next generation of electronic and optoelectronic devices.
- Y. Wang, G. Bossé, H.P. Nair, N.J. Schreiber, J.P. Ruf, B. Cheng, C. Adamo, D.E. Shai, Y. Lubashevsky, D.G. Schlom, K.M. Shen, and N.P. Armitage, “Subterahertz momentum drag and violation of Matthiessen’s rule in an ultraclean ferromagnetic SrRuO3 metallic thin film”, Physical Review Letters 125, p. 217401, 2020.
- H.P. Nair, J.P. Ruf, N.J. Schreiber, M.L. Grandon, D.J. Baek, B.H. Goodge, J.P.R. Ruff L.F. Kourkoutis, K.M. Shen, and D.G. Schlom, “Demystifying the growth of superconducting Sr2RuO4 thin films”, APL Materials, 6, p. 101108, 2018.
- H. P. Nair, Y. Liu, J. P. Ruf, N. J. Schreiber, S.-L. Shang, D. J. Baek, B. H. Goodge, L. F. Kourkoutis, Z.-K. Liu, K. M. Shen, and D. G. Schlom, “Synthesis science of SrRuO3 and CaRuO3 epitaxial thin films with high residual resistivity ratios”, APL Materials, 6, p. 046101, 2018.
- S.D. Sifferman, H.P. Nair, R. Salas, N.T. Sheehan, S.J. Maddox, A.M. Crook, and S.R. Bank, “Highly strained mid-infrared type-I diode lasers on GaSb”, IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, 21, p. 1502410-1, 2015.
- S.J. Maddox, W. Sun, Z. Lu, H.P. Nair, J.C. Campbell, and S.R. Bank, "Enhanced Low-Noise Gain from InAs Avalanche Photodiodes with Reduced Dark Current and Background Doping," Applied Physics Letters, 101, p. 151124, 2012.
- H.P. Nair, A.M. Crook, and S.R. Bank, “Enhanced conductivity of tunnel junctions employing semimetallic nanoparticles through variation in growth temperature and deposition,” Applied Physics Letters, 96, p. 222104, 2010.
Selected Awards and Honors
- Device Research Conference (DRC) Student Paper Award (2013)
- The Ben Streetman prize for “Outstanding Research in Electronic and Photonic Materials and Devices” from the University of Texas at Austin (2013)
- Electronics Materials Conference (EMC) Student Paper Award (2012)
Ph.D. (Electrical and Computer Engineering), The University of Texas at Austin, 2013
M.S. (Electrical and Computer Engineering), The University of Texas at Austin, 2008
B.Tech. (Engineering Physics), Indian Institute of Technology Madras, 2006