The Department of Materials Science and Engineering offers an accredited engineering BS degree. Our major is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, https://www.abet.org.
The Program Educational Objectives (PEOs) of the Materials Science and Engineering were approved by the MSE faculty on 22 August 2022, and by the MSE Advisory Board on 18 September 2022, and are as follows:
The Department of Materials Science and Engineering is committed to excellence and seeks to graduate materials scientists and engineers who, collectively:
- assume leadership positions in technology-based industries;
- conceive, design, and realize useful products, systems, and services, properly respecting economic, environmental, cultural, life safety, and ethical standards or constraints;
- discover and apply new knowledge, and develop new tools for the practice of engineering;
- complete programs of graduate and/or professional studies and continue to learn throughout their lives;
- are valued in their careers, whether for mastery of the discipline of materials science and engineering or for the broader analytical or creative abilities fostered by their engineering education; and
- engage with their communities, profession, and the world.
These Program Educational Objectives describe long-term accomplishments for which we seek to prepare our graduates. Progress toward these objectives is expected to be measurable within three to five years of graduation.
For the Materials Science and Engineering Major, the Student Outcomes (SOs) assessed are listed below.
Upon program completion, students have the ability to:
- Identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics
- Apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors
- Communicate effectively with a range of audiences
- Recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts
- Function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives
- Develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions
- Acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies
MSE Dept Graduates
MSE Affliated Juniors/Seniors